PARENTING

PARENTING A GIFT OF LOVE

Parenting is the most difficult task that you will ever have in your life. At the same time it is the most wonderful gift of nature. Children project their parents to be their hero or heroine so it is very important for parents to set a good example for their children

EFFECTIVE PARENTING SKILLS

EFFECTIVE PARENTING SKILLS
"THE GREATEST GIFT OF LIFE"
2009 Cute Kid of The Year Cutest Baby Picture Competition Win College Tuition, Prizes & More

Monday, April 6, 2009

Why It Is So Important To Recognize Your Child's Hidden Talents


Too soon to start thinking about what your children will do in the world to support themselves? Given the current state of the economy, and the changes we may be seeing in the workforce and the world as a result, it's not too early to be thinking about your children's future.


Once again, I'll reference my two boys, since they're very different in terms of talent and temperament. The older of my boys is away at a major university on a track scholarship. He also had good enough grades and was enough of an entrepreneur in high school that he probably would've gotten an academic scholarship, too, had it not been for his sports acumen.

My younger son is a different story. While my older boy is ambitious - a classic "self-starter" and entrepreneur - my younger son seems to lack any motivation or desire to excel. He struggles to get even a C on his report card, and he's not very interested in business or college.


Had he not discovered his talent and his focus in life, he might have wandered aimlessly about. But he is good at something, and I'm glad I helped him find it and am doing all I can to be supportive.


He plays guitar. I know, I know. A musician? A rock 'n roller? A band? What kind of career path is that?


Well, it's certainly not my career path. And it's probably not the path most parents would choose for their children. It is, however, his path, his talent, his love. And I'm every bit as proud of him as I am of my older son in college. My younger son and his band played their first live performance recently, and the joy and passion he had was evident. He even wrote the song they performed.


That's the point of this parenting tip and I'll illustrate it with a question: will it be enough for you if your child is happy and fulfilled in his life and career, or would you prefer that you're happy and fulfilled by what he's doing? Yes, putting "Dr." in front of your child's name, or "Esquire" after it might make you feel fulfilled, but wouldn't you rather they found their own calling, their own career, their own happiness and passion in life?


To help them along that path, start early if possible, by helping them try different things and explore different talents and paths without pushing any of them. Just let them play, expose them to as many different activities and choices as possible, then simply support and encourage them along the way.


They may try and fail at many of them, but at least you know that you allowed them to find their talent and their own passion in life. And you got to be a part of it.
By: Gareth Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment